- Acceptance of children and youths regardless of origin, nationality, religion, social and financial status or physical handicap. All members should be willing to accept the Guide Promise
- Respect to the cultural identity and everyone’s right to be different
- Attendance, participation and work at our meetings are based on everyone’s voluntary service and out of everyone’s personal wish
- Encouragement of friendly cooperation among children and adults is essential as well as equal allocation of duties to both men and women
The Greek Guiding Association is a non-governmental organization and doesn’t adopt a party line whatsoever.
Guiding is meaningful play. Children and young members (aged between 5 and 17 years) learn to live by adopting values such as respect, faith, cooperation and friendship. They participate in modern activities which allow them to experience a carefully designed system of self-management and personal progress and improvement.
The groups of activities, which constitute the programme of our weekly meetings, are based on its ideology and have an educational character. The programme of Guiding is adapted to the needs of each age. Therefore, children and youths are divided into 4 groups regarding our 4 Branches:
- Star Branch addressed to boys and girls aged 5 to 7
- Brownies Branch addressed to boys and girls aged 7 to 11
- Guide Branch addressed to boys and girls aged 11 to 14
- Ranger Branch addressed to boys and girls aged 14 to 17
The Guiding Educational Programme is based on three axes which offer young members with new opportunities for:
Personal Development (It comprises activities enabling participants to achieve physical, mental and emotional development)
Social Participation (It comprises social activities enabling participants to socialize and offer to people in need)
Life in Nature-Environmental Awareness (It comprises activities urging people to love and respect Nature and the Environment)
We are proud to have participate in all of our country’s main events, from our founding in 1932 and in more recently one’s, as the Athens Olympic Games 2004, the fires in 2007, where our members camped at the fire stricken areas and contributed to the relief of the fire victims and are actively involved with the environment, participating in tree plantings and other educational environmental programmes
For the time being, the Greek Guiding Association is running the action "Α world in a suitcase" based on the educational program "Refugee flows, human rights and interculturalism", a program that for the first time is being applied in Greek schools, approved by the Greek Ministry of Education and under the auspices of UNHCR. The action’s goal is helping the Greek students, through experiential activities, understand the refugee crisis and develop their compassion regarding the refugees who are fleeing their countries. A main goal is also to bring the students closer to the human rights' values and teach them the way they can promote these values.
Please check our brochure!
Founder of the Greek Guiding, Irene Kalliga